New, Blue and Bold

I posted a version of this tote in pink a couple of posts ago, but decided to make one for myself in blue. The main fabric and couple of others used in this project were thrifting finds. Each time I use this pattern I play with the finishing details a bit and love that it allows so many creative opportunities to use a variety of fabric. It really is a stashbusting project.
For this one, I free hand machine quilted around the flowers in the main fabric in a variegated thread, to add a bit of playfulness and extra detail. The quilting layers also give more structure to the tote's design, which I'm liking.
I strip pieced the band that covers the top portion of the front pocket and added in some gimp trim in white to jazz it up even more.
A peek at the inside shows the pocket I added to help organize the interior of the tote. I hate having to fish around for the smaller items I like to carry. The best part about this design for me, has been that I can wear the tote as a backpack which I like for shopping. I've already transferred the contents from the tote I had been using into this new beauty. Time for me to take it out on a test run. ;o)

Comments

  1. Really cute bag!! I love the free hand quilting around the flowers. I got a darning foot for Christmas and have been scared to try it out - is that what you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! i like the strip of patchwork a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    Roxanne - I'm using what is known as the embroidery foot on my machine. This foot moves up and down with each stitch as there is a finger on it that rests atop the needle bar. The up and down movement allows you to stitch in any direction, which is what you want for free hand machine embroidery.
    I could post a photo to show you what this foot looks like...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue bag a lot. Wonderful! Great to see that you used quilting and piecing and beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Katherine!!! Can't wait to check it out in person :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag! I love the quilted flowers. It really makes them POP.

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!