'Manly' Quilt is complete!

Here is the results of my idea of making a quilt from outgrown shirts from my son along with some thrifted plaid shirts to supplement.

That's a lot of plaid - but my son loves his latest quilt and could hardly wait for me to finish it before adorning his bed with it.
I decided to stipple quilt the mad plaid-ness of it all with a variegated blue quilting thread in both the needle and bobbin.
I used plaid everywhere on this quilt! The backing is a flannel sheet I found brand new at the thrift store. Can you believe I had to unpick the side seams of the sheet to have just enough and the binding for the quilt is from a garment I made years ago? Not only is my son's quilt very 'Manly', but it was very economical to make (the latter point only impresses me - the first point is all my son was concerned with ;o)

Comments

  1. It's beautiful...even for a "manly" quilt. The quilting is perfect and it sounds like it will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!
    What surprises me is the speed you
    make quilts.
    (i never try, because i don´t know how to do it...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. even as "manly" as it is- it is just lovely! shhhhh don't tell the son he has a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out beautifully, er...I mean handsomely. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful. That is something he will keep forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Katherine, I absolutely love your manly quilt! The machine-quilting is gorgeous too! Lucky son of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. It's a piece of art. And you might THINK it doesn't impress him that every bit is reused. Listen to my uncles talk about their mum and what she could do with absolutely nothing and the pride shines so bright! I'll be he's really proud of you in so many ways you don't even know about.
    I can just hear him talking to his wife someday... "you spend HOW much on that fabric? my mum would've made..." eeek! Poor woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Katherine! It is so wonderful! I loved watching the progress of the quilt - the transformation from piecing and quilt top to finished product. The quilting gives it such character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, katherine. it is just gorgeous. in the most manly sort of way, of course. it looks fantastic! nice job quilting, too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, terrific finish! It is spectacular! And manly, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks very manly, but very cozy at the same time. Perfect! And I love how thrifty you are!! That's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of plaid! A wonderful way to repurpose outgrown or worn shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katherine, it looks wonderful!!
    Very manly and macho ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katherine, you really, really are so talented. Your son must so appreciate his new quilt. How great to have a mum like you. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!