Patchwork Pieces of Pumpkin Pie...

is my (tongue twister) name for the scrappy patchwork table runner I just completed. Autumn colours and pumpkin pie go hand in hand, right? ;o) This table runner was inspired by the first project I've made piecing nothing but triangles together. The trick to piecing triangles smoothly is in the pressing of the seams.
I'm happy with my decision to change the border fabric as it seems to compliment the triangles without blending in. For a bit of whimsy, I free motion quilted a leaf pattern onto the triangles and then stipple quilted the border fabric.
Finding that the fabric I wanted for the backing wasn't large enough, I decided to use leftover patchwork from the front to make up the difference. I now love the backing as much as the front! The backing also shows off my quilting more noticeably. It is so liberating to free motion quilt.
Here's a close-up of one corner of the backing to show you the quilting and the binding fabric. The fabric for the binding had to be pieced for width because I didn't have enough to cut my usual 2 3/4" binding strips. I had to add a 1" strip in order to have the width I needed, but as you can see the other fabric is folded to the inside so you don't even notice my piecing trick. ;o)

My new table runner from the front...
and from the back...
finished and ready to be enjoyed!

Comments

  1. Gorgeous!
    Love the leaf quilting. And you're right, the back is just as pretty as the front. :)

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to piece a little bit of the front onto the back - love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is stunning! I love the colors and the way you quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! Both sides!!!
    Love those colours and the name you gave it just fabolous :) 4Ps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely - the leaf quilting is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this. You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!