Unexpectedly Bold

I couldn't think of a better way to describe my new, modern mini quilt.  I think you understand why I  used "bold" in this quilt's name... the colours are pretty much all of that (and then some! lol).

 It felt crazy adventurous to step out of my usual choice of a neutral background fabric and jump in with both feet and choose Kona Cerise (thanks, Pink Chalk Fabrics!).  Discovering how much I liked the pairing of cerise with all those oranges was so unexpected as was the inspiration behind my designI was flipping through a knitting book when a pattern for an argyle sweater caught my eye.  Immediately, I could envision a quilt block version (if you turn my quilt on point, you may see the argyle influence).
  

The idea for the lovely colour pairing in my quilt came from a little scrap of fabric.  See that sweet flower print on the left, down in front?  That little beauty got me thinking.  From there it was simply a matter of grabbing the rotary cutter and being bold!



Yet again, this mini was mostly fashioned from leftover fabrics from other projects, including my Orange Twirl quilt (which sadly, could not be finished in time for entering the Tangerine Tango Challenge) The strips of Kona chocolate were scraps from the crazy 9 patch blocks I have ready for the quilt for my hubby.  I used nearly every last inch of that luscious chocolate fabric and  I was  concerned that I wouldn't have enough, it was that close!


The next bit of unexpected delight came about when I placed a recent order for some orange fabrics to finish  Orange Twirl.  One of the fabrics I'd chosen was out of stock and was replaced by Dear Stella in Mumsy.  Hello, orange and cerise!  This fabric was the obvious choice for binding my new mini quilt.  The colours were perfect!



Looking at the bold graphic lines in this design had me initially thinking I should quilt straight lines, but somehow it didn't seem right.  At the last moment I realized I could use the lines in the piecing  as a guide for some diagonal chalk lines and from there, I could add in some gentle curved stitching.  Boy, am I glad I decided to forgo straight lines and use curves instead!  


The quilting adds a secondary pattern along with some texture to the stark, bold lines of the quilt design. I really like the contrast. Being bold, I even quilted using Aurufil's 50wt quilting cotton in orange. How fun!


There you have it.  The story behind my forays into making Unexpectedly Bold.  I have loved seeing the inspiring modern mini quilts created by others and I finally have made one of my own.  I enjoyed every step in taking my seeds of inspiration for a design and pushing myself to try something new.  Being bold does have its rewards, some are unexpected. ;o)

Unexpectedly Bold is being entered into


and


as well as


Comments

  1. Such a beautiful modern mini Katherine!! Love the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOLDly go where you haven't gone before! Your quilt is [not unexpectedly] gorgeous - I love the star design formed by your quilting, and especially the orange and pinky/cherry/cerise colour combo. I thought I read the size in the post but now I don't see it - how big is this? I think it would be wonderful as a baby quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning job! You're a natural with solids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a nice quilt and I love the color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a piece of art. Your colorchoice is STUNNING. I really love it.
    I was in Holland for ten days so could not visit you earlier.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clean and modern! You should do a big quilt of this! Looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Pink and orange are my favorite color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this quilt hanging. It is the unexpected and it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it's boldness! Congrats on a successful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of my Mum's kitchen circa 1974. She had cerise cupboards and orange bench tops. (And orange net curtains with cerise blinds) So, not only a "modern" quilt, but also a "retro" one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fab and the quilting is perfect...love curves with the straight lines of the piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! Hooray for being bold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doesn`t it look amazing on the wall Katherine? Love the bold colour choices and your choice of quilting which is just beautiful. It`s a gorgeous mini!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the quilting transforms this quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the secondary pattern created by the quilting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those colors together! Great job on the quilting too. Thanks for entering the modern mini contest. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really lovely. I think the curved lines complement the patchwork perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! You also did a great job on the quilting choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those colours together, but I especially like the way you've quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the colours and your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!