Blogger's Quilt Festival

 
 
 Hi there ! If you are visiting my blog for the first time while touring the Blogger's Quilt Festival, welcome!  
The quilt I'm sharing is a recent finish, so those of you that are not new to my blog will recognize it as my Orange Twirl quilt.  It measures 71" x  90" and started out as a way to use up some leftover orange fabrics from another quilt and try a new block design.
 
 
Little did I know that this simple block and playing with fabric values in orange would captivate me!  The more blocks I made, the more I fell in love with this design.  It didn't take me long to realize that I would like to make the quilt bed-sized.  That presented a problem.  I needed to keep the values contrasting in the quilt, but my collection of orange fabrics was getting slim.  That's when some wonderful blogging friends stepped in to help me out.  I think of their generosity as "Orange-Aid" and their kind help, made my quilt more lovely than I had imagined.
 
 
My next challenge turned out to be  my quilting. 
 I knew from the start how I wanted to free motion quilt, but  once I was underway, I started having second thoughts.  I guess it was a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. ;o)
  Instead of ripping out all my stitches, I walked away from it. 
 The next day I was able to look at it with fresh eyes and
 
 
I realized the swirly quilting wasn't quite as disappointing as I first thought.
 
 
Sometimes, as was the case with this quilt, it's the fabrics that take center stage, not the quilting... and that's good. 
 

The rest of the quilt came together smoothly. 
 Using a stripe fabric for the backing was a first for me.  Using dots for the binding... was not a first, but is always a favourite.
 

Is there anything happier than a dot binding? ;o)
I would never have guessed that my initial motivations (where's the risk in using leftovers to try a new block, right? ;o) would result in a quilt that makes me smile every time I look at it and give me a whole new outlook on a colour that I used to overlook.
 
 
 Thanks so much for your visit! 
You're always welcome here and I hope you'll click my "follow with Bloglovin" button (sidebar) to keep coming back.
Okay, off you go!  Have fun visiting everyone else in the Festival!
 
AmysCreativeSide.com
 
 
 

Comments

  1. You know I love this already, but it is just so beautiful. All those oranges work so well together and you picked the perfect pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine! I love your quilt and it's my favourite! Those colours are so sunny and the pattern makes them even more happy! I do hope to make that pattern one day. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! Love all the orange fabrics, and your quilting looks great. Funny how it always improves when you let it sit for a while and then come back to it, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt. I love orange and value contrasts and this has both. The design is full of movement and fun. It looks wonderful on your bed too. A wonderful festival entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orange is my favourite colour and snail's trail is a pattern I've always wanted to try so this quilt sings to me! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning. I had no orange in my stash 2 years ago...it was one of those "meh" colors for me. I always gravitated more towards the cool colors like blues and greens, but I have come to love orange in all it hues and shades. What you have done with this color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt would brighten any room, especially come next fall and winter. And it's so fun that you had blogging friends who were able to contribute fabrics to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous quilt! I'm new to appreciating orange... such a happy color and a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out absolutely beautiful...great job on your quilting, too! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore orange but have only used it very infrequently - I think that has to change. Your Orange Twirls are gorgeous - the fabrics you used are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't use orange very often, but this quilt is lovely. I love how the different value twirls keep your eyes moving around it. So lively to look at - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh! It's fabulous! I love this pattern and it looks so great with all the yummy oranges you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orange is a color I used to not just overlook, but intentionally avoid-- and now I love it. And I totally am diggin' this quilt!!! You did a fabulous job, particularly in working the values so that it really keeps one's eye moving. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love orange so I love your quilt ! and I love that you chose the swirly quilting as it matches the swirly bedhead :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!