Sewcial Bee Sampler Sewalong Blocks 1 & 2

Do you know about the Sewcial Bee Sampler sew-along being hosted by Sharon Holland and Maureen Cracknell?
 
 These talented ladies have designed a wonderful sampler block quilt and will be sharing the instructions for one block, each week for twenty-five weeks.  It's a no pressure, work at your own pace sew-along that I couldn't resist joining. 

Patience Corners - Block 1/25


I knew right from the start, that I wanted to make my blocks scrappy, so that I could sew completely from my stash and as I've long admired the quilts that Stina makes using low-volume fabrics, I wanted to make this my opportunity to make something along that line. You can expect lots of scrappy colour and a myriad of low-volume fabrics to be making their appearance in my blocks! 

This is week two in the sew-along and it wasn't until last evening that I finally managed to decide how I would proceed. I've adapted both of the block designs so that I could use strips and squares from my scrap stash and as many fabrics as I wanted. It does mean that piecing takes a little longer - for example the center square in the block shown below, is one fabric in the sew-along instructions and not a 9 patch block as I made.  That's the beauty of a sew-along, you can make each block "yours" with your choices and seeing the versions being made by the other participants is very inspiring!


A Dandy - Block 2/25
 
Maureen and Sharon are doing a wonderful job of inspiring and cheering us all on, plus giving help as needed.  Instructions for each block are well written, so it's beginner friendly and for those of us with a bit of experience, we are free to play a bit with things (as I took the liberty of doing with the first two blocks ;o).  All the details to the free sew-along can be found on Maureen's blog and on Sharon's blog  making it easy for you to join in.  You know you want to! ;o)
 

 

Comments